Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days (unless we say otherwise)! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
A sewage plant leak has caused all of your household water to become contaminated. The city has shut off the water supply to avoid anyone drinking the contaminated water. Go about your regular household business without using running water today.
Goal: Practice carrying on with your daily life with no running water
- Go and shut off your main water line in case it is not purified when services are restored (review this post if you don’t know how)
- If you have any empty water containers … you have ONE HOUR from the time you read this to go and fill them all up, then you can use them as a resource for today
- Prepare all your meals without running water
- Clean all of your dishes using only stored water (practice water conservation tricks)
- You must find a way for you (and your family if applicable) to bathe or shower today
- Find the nearest source of fresh water to your home, bring some home and purify it to conserve some of the water you have stored
- Do a load of laundry … without running water!
- Calculate how much water you used today, how long can you live on what you have stored?
- FILL OUT YOUR MASTER WORKSHEET TODAY – Doing it as you practice each day will help you remember what you want to include.
SHARING TIME: Visit today’s Facebook thread and share a picture or details of your water adventures today.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- Do not use running water at all, make sure to do task #1 to keep from accidentally turning it on.
- You can’t flush toilets unless you use up your precious stored water.
- Assume the water has been contaminated for an extended period of time, you have already used up all of the stored water in your home
- Your car is in the shop and you must go collect water without a vehicle
Helpful Posts on This Topic:
- How To Deal With Long Term Water Loss (Water Saving Tips)
- Water Storage Containers: Pros and Cons
- Water Filtration versus Water Purification
- How to Shut Off Your Main Water Supply
Helpful Products for This Topic:
We put together a master worksheet for you to fill out each day of the challenge. There is a separate page to list the things you need to buy, do, and learn after each day of the challenge. Include a due date of when you’d like to accomplish the task and check it off when you do it! Fill it out at the end of each day while your memory is fresh.
Check your email first thing in the morning!